Like the majority of Norwich City fans, I am pretty depressed about the club’s situation right now. After losing 2-0 at home to Reading last night, we are staring down the barrel of relegation to League One.
Only a defeat for Barnsley and a victory for us on the final day will see us remain in the Championship. As much as we can hope this can happen, it really is unlikely. Barnsley could well lose at Plymouth, but as for us doing our bit – I wouldn’t waste my football bet on it.
So, the game last night – not great was it? There were spells where we looked like creating something, but overall it was pretty desperate. Let’s take a look at the conclusions I have drawn after watching the game.
- David Carney is abysmal – The man just doesn’t look like a footballer. His first touch is awful and his last one isn’t much better either. Matty Pattison a better option? I think so.
- Darrell Russell isn’t very good – I have been a fan of Rusty for a while, but he just looked so short on confidence last night. His touch was terrible and you just always expect him to get himself sent off.
- David Marshall isn’t worth £1m – Many people expect Marshall to leave this summer. I’m not convinced. His decision making is so questionable at times. Who would fork out some money for him?
- Lee Croft has played his last game for the club – Presuming that Crofty isn’t fit for the final game, then we can kiss goodbye to our player of the season. Destination? Sheffield United I reckon.
- Wes Hoolahan is sorely missed – With no creativity whatsoever in midfield, it is clear for all to see that we miss Hoolahan. Yes, he had his bad games this year, but he could always make something happen.
- Cody Macdonald could be a hero – Whatever league we are in next year, this lad can become a fan favourite. He has pace and works his arse off all game.
- Jamie Cureton is on his way out – As much as Cureton has let us down with his finishing this season, I’d have given him the nod yesterday ahead of Daley. It shows how far down the pecking order he is.
- Jason Shackell should be re-signed – I thought he was our best player last night. In fact, he has been brilliant since he came back. Can we afford him though?
- Bryan Gunn waits too long to change things – Just before Reading scored, it was obvious that we had gone flat. Why wait until we had gone behind before changing things?
- The future of the club is bleak – This is the most worrying thing. It could get a lot worse before it gets better. Anyone fancy the trip to Exeter next year?
Overall, it is a pretty dark time for the club and if you think the misery for this season is over – think again. It could still be heartache on the final day with Barnsley losing only for us to concede a last minute equaliser. Joy.