City will have a new kit next season and at 28 years of age (ouch) I should, by now, be at an age when the thought of my team turning out in new clobber doesn’t excite me but I’m afraid it does. That’s something I’ve got to deal with, but I’ll do it in my own time.
So far we know that we’re very likely to have a new sponsor (has that been confirmed? I’m not sure), that the away kit will probably be the same but with the new sponsor logo (it was released as a “2007-2009” kit, so I think that’s the most likely scenario), and it’ll therefore almost certainly be Xara again.
With that in mind I have five simple requests:
- Let us (the fans) have a say in our kit. Other clubs have done it like Crystal Palace, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich in recent years but we continue to have naff kits forced on us (although to be fair I think the current home kit is the best one we’ve had for a while looks-wise).
- Get a decent sponsor. There’s nothing wrong with flybe as such, but with them also sponsoring Southampton and Exeter they were hardly a local company likely to have a long-term interest in the football club – and Lotus was really cool – which is why I still wear my Premier League away shirt with “Ginger Pele 27” on the back quite regularly.
- Please don’t make it “fitted”. I spent a good few years laughing at Spurs and their fans on TV wearing that skin-tight lycra kit, only for us to bring out our own. The 11 players on the pitch may well be highly-tuned professional athletes, but most of the 25,000 in the crowd are not, and there’s nothing worse than looking at the size chart and thinking to yourself “there’s no way I’m ringing up and ordering a shirt that size”. Not that I’d do that of course…ahem.
- Let us know about it early. Most Premier League sides release their new kit by the end of the previous season, so why do we always have to wait until September? One of the reasons the good Lord made football kits was so you could wear them on your holidays on the Costa Del Chav or wherever it is you go. It’s not a lot of good getting a new shirt in October is it?
- Please don’t let Xara give us a kit that is styled from an adidas kit or similar. Xara might be cheaper than one of the “big” brands, the club may get a better margin per jersey sold, but ripping off an adidas or Nike kit is not big and it’s not clever.
I don’t think that’s asking too much, do you?
If anyone else has any pre-requisites or requirements they would like to add please let me know. You can leave a comment, or my email address is on the right hand side of the page.